Want more information?
Is Beauty School Right for Me?
Trying to find out if beauty school is right for you?
Whether you are fresh out of high school, or considering a job change later in life, choosing your career path is an important and life-changing decision. If you have been considering beauty school, we have compiled lots of information to help you decide whether it’s the right fit for you. If you decide that cosmetology is for you, simply enter your zip code in the box to the right to find schools near you and learn more.
Jump to Your Question:
- Questions to ask yourself.
- Is beauty school easier than a 4-year college or university?
- Is it too late to change my career and go to cosmetology school?
- Am I too old for cosmetology school?
There are a number of questions you should ask yourself when deciding whether beauty school is the right choice for you. Answer the questions on this list honestly to find out if beauty school is a good fit for your future.
- Do I enjoy working one-on-one with people? Am I comfortable touching people?
- Do I like working with my hands? Am I ok with working on my feet?
- Am I a social person who enjoys meeting people and friendly conversation?
- Am I comfortable giving honest opinions and tactful but critical feedback?
- Am I a creative person who enjoys keeping up with the latest beauty and/or fashion trends?
- Am I a motivated self-starter who sets goals and works hard to achieve them?
- Can I balance beauty school with my current job or family responsibilities?
- Can I learn well with a combination of in-class lecture, textbook reading, homework assignments, and hands-on practice on both mannequins and real people?
If you answered “Yes” to most or all of the questions, beauty school just might be for you. Click the “Find a School” button below to search for schools near you to compare.
They say that if you are truly passionate about something then studying it comes more naturally and "easier" than something else less interesting and relevant would. But cosmetology school is not a cakewalk to be taken lightly, either! The cosmetology, esthetics and beauty trades call for dedicated, motivated and ambitious individuals who enjoy hands-on work, helping clients and being creative. If that is you, then cosmetology school might be right for you.
Cosmetology school may come easy to you because you are passionate about learning all things beauty. You will be expected to learn theory and best practices from the in-class lecture of your cosmetology instructors, read your cosmetology textbooks, study the things you learn in class, get hands-on practice and experience in a student salon, and take written exams. There is so much to learn about the cosmetology trade - but fortunately, the best cosmetology schools are well-equipped with the most professional and educated cosmetology teachers to start you on your career path.
Beauty school is not just about hair and makeup, either. You will likely learn tons of valuable skills about infection control and decontamination, anatomy and body systems, chemistry basics, professional image and business practices, and many more of what they call the "soft skills" that aren't directly related to cutting hair, doing makeup, doing nails, and so on. Cosmetology is a professional career where lifelong learning through cosmetology continuing education is essential. One of the best things you can do is to learn from and network with other beauty professionals, students and teachers.
Most certainly not! It is never too late for a mid-life career change to switch to cosmetology, esthetics or another beauty-related field. If you have a passion for beauty and you know it is time for a change, then a cosmetology career may be for you. In fact, many of your existing skills might even be well-suited to use in your cosmetology career.
Some issues you may need to consider in order to make the switch to a cosmetology career include making the time to balance your current career responsibilities with your new cosmetology school schedule, your family's expectations and reactions, and most importantly, getting over your fear of the big mid-life career change. A job in cosmetology, esthetics or beauty can certainly be within your reach, but make sure you are really committed to this life change. Focus on getting the highest quality education possible from a trusted, reputable cosmetology school in your area. It is never too early to network with beauty students, teachers and professionals, to post a cosmetology portfolio of your work online, and to start building up your clientele.
Think you’re ready to take the plunge and make a career change? It all starts with researching schools near you. Click the button below to get started.
As author C.S. Lewis once said, "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." You are absolutely not "too old" for cosmetology school, at any age. In fact, we find that nearly 75% of our applicants are not fresh out of high school. Many of us decide on cosmetology after trying a career that wasn't right for us, or after taking time away from the working world to raise a family. If your passion is beauty, cosmetology or esthetics, then there is no time like the present to enroll in cosmetology school and begin a new career in beauty. Cosmetology is known for commonly having jobs that have flexible scheduling and room for growth. You are definitely not "too old," and if anything, you are at the prime age to enroll in beauty school. It's not unheard of for individuals in their 80s and 90s to graduate cosmetology school.
So if you think a career change is in order for you, take all that life experience you have earned and apply it to getting your cosmetology license and a brand new career in beauty. Cosmetology has the potential to change your life, and allow you to have a "career" when perhaps before you were only working a "job." You are never too old for beauty school.
Don’t be afraid to take the first step and research beauty schools near you. Click the “Find Schools” button below to search and compare.
News About Considering Cosmetology School:
- February 2013 - "Attending Cosmetology School While Pregnant"
- September 2012 - "What if the Beauty School I'm Considering has Bad Reviews?"
- November 2012 - "VIDEO: Is Cosmetology School Hard?"
- May 2012 - "U.S. Bureau Releases New Salary and Emloyment Data for Cosmetology Professions"
- March 2012 - "Barber School vs. Cosmetology School - What's the Difference?"
FAQ Quick Links
- Vital Statistics
- Is Cosmetology School for Me
- Choosing the Right School
- School Programs
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- School Requirements
- Finding Your First Job
- Professional Careers in the Cosmetology Industry
- Laws and licenses
- State-by-State License Requirements
- Cosmetology School Tools and Supplies