How to Choose a Beauty School
Jump to Your Question:
- What are the step-by-step instructions for how to choose a beauty school?
- What questions should I ask the beauty school admissions representatives?
- What criteria should I consider when choosing a beauty school?
This page should serve as your checklist for when you talk to the admissions representatives at the beauty school or beauty schools that you're considering. Make sure that when you contact a school and request information that you are prepared with a list of questions you want to get answered. To ensure you are making an educated decision and choosing the right beauty school for you, ask questions until you feel completely comfortable with the institution. Beauty school is a big commitment, and you want to start your beauty career on the right foot. So take your time and consider all aspects before making your final decision.
Here are a couple of checklists to take with you when you're on a call with a beauty school admissions rep, or when you stop by the beauty school for a tour and to meet the students and teachers.
1. Find beauty schools near you and contact them to request more information. An admissions representative should be in touch soon.
2. Prepare your list of questions to ask the admissions representatives. Don't be afraid to ask until you are satisfied with the answers. You should be completely confident in the information you're getting.
3. Prioritize your checklist and decide which considerations are most important to you. Is it more important to you that the school teaches all the skills you want, or that the program is cheap? Is it more important to you that the school has an in-school salon or that they have a job-placement program? We recommend sorting the checklist in order from most important to least important to make your final decision.
4. Make the final decision on which beauty school is right for you. Once you've made your choice, contact the school right away and begin the application process.
5. Get excited! You just took the first step to starting beauty school.
1. Is your school accredited?
2. How much is the tuition?
3. Are books, cosmetology kits and other supplies included in the tuition?
4. Does your school offer financial aid?
5. Can I schedule a tour?
6. Do you offer a comprehensive cosmetology program?
7. Do you offer full-time or part-time classes?
8. How long does it take to complete the program?
9. What skills and techniques are taught in the program?
10. Do you offer exam test prep materials to study for the licensing exam?
11. Is there an in-school salon to get hands-on experience?
12. What is your student-to-teacher ratio?
13. What are your school's graduation and job placement rates?
14. Do you offer job placement assistance services after students graduate?
- Proximity to your home or job
- Programs offered
- Individual attention or teacher to student ratio
- Quality of the facility and technology
- Availability of public transportation
- Financial aid, financing options, payments accepted
- Part-time, full-time, day or night classes and your schedule
- Cost of tuition, books and cosmetology kit
- Availability of in-school salon
- Availability of job placement services
Ready to choose a beauty school?
These three tools should help you get all the information you need to choose a beauty school. Remember - ask all the questions you need to feel confident in your decision. Compile all the information you get from the beauty school admissions representative, compare it to your checklist that you prioritized on what matters most to you, and then make an educated decision on the best beauty school for you. If you have any questions at all on how to choose a beauty school, please contact us!
FAQ Quick Links
- Vital Statistics
- Is Cosmetology School for Me
- Choosing the Right School
- School Programs
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- School Requirements
- Finding Your First Job
- Professional Careers in the Cosmetology Industry
- Laws and licenses
- State-by-State License Requirements
- Cosmetology School Tools and Supplies