How to Choose a Beauty School
Choosing between schools?
This page should serve as your checklist for when you talk to the admissions representatives at the beauty school or beauty schools that you're considering. Make sure that when you contact schools and request information, you are prepared with a list of questions you want to get answered. To ensure you are making an educated decision and choosing the right beauty school for you, ask questions until you feel completely comfortable with the institution. Beauty school is a life-changing commitment, and you want to start your beauty career on the right foot. So take your time and consider all aspects before making your final decision.
Below are a few checklists to take with you when you're on a call with a beauty school admissions rep, or when you stop by the beauty school for a tour and to meet the students and teachers.
Jump to Your Question:
Here is the easiest guide to finding and comparing beauty schools near you.
- Find beauty schools near you and contact them to request more information. An admissions representative should be in touch soon.
- Prioritize your checklist and decide which considerations are most important to you. Is it more important to you that the school teaches all the skills you want, or that the program is cheap? Is it more important to you that the school has an in-school salon or that they have a job-placement program? We recommend sorting the checklist in order from most important to least important to make your final decision.
- Prepare your list of questions to ask the admissions representatives. (Feel free to use the list of questions we prepared below!) Don't be afraid to ask until you are satisfied with the answers. You should be completely confident in the information you're getting.
- Make the final decision on which beauty school is right for you. Once you've made your choice, contact the school right away and begin the application process to hold your seat in the class. Discuss payment options and plans with the school up front.
- Get excited! You just took the first step to starting beauty school.
When you are comparing different beauty schools to decide which one is best for you, you will talk to the admissions representatives that will help answer all your questions. We have prepared a list of starter questions to begin your conversations with the different schools. Having the answers to the question on this list can help you make a more confident decision about which school is the best match for your needs. Print this list and take it with you to your appointments to tour the schools.
- Is your school accredited?
- How much is the tuition?
- Are books, cosmetology kits and other supplies included in the tuition?
- Does your school offer financial aid or scholarships?
- What is your absentee or leave of absence policy?
- Can I schedule a tour?
- What programs does your school offer? (Comprehensive Cosmetology, Esthetics, Makeup, Nail Tech, etc.)
- Do you offer full-time or part-time classes? What about night and weekend classes?
- How long does it take to complete the program I’ve chosen?
- What skills and techniques are taught in the program?
- Do you offer exam test prep materials to study for the licensing exam?
- Is there an in-school salon to get hands-on experience?
- What is your student-to-teacher ratio?
- What are your school's graduation and job placement rates?
- Do you offer job placement assistance services after students graduate?
Everyone has different needs and tastes when it comes to selecting the school that is right for them. For some people, the cost of tuition and the availability of financial aid is highly important, whereas for others the most important thing is having flexible scheduling that allows them to hold a job or spend time with their families. Every person is different, but below are some things to consider when comparing cosmetology schools.
- Proximity to your home or job
- Programs offered
- Individual attention or teacher to student ratio
- Quality of the facility and technology
- Availability of public transportation
- Financial aid, financing options, payments accepted
- Part-time, full-time, day, night or weekend classes and your schedule
- Cost of tuition, books and cosmetology kit
- Availability of in-school salon
- Availability of job placement services
- Ties to local community, salons and beauty events
- School reputation
- Classroom atmosphere and morale
- Availability of one-on-one support or tutoring from instructors
Ready to choose a beauty school?
These three tools should help you get all the information you need to choose a beauty school. Remember - ask all the questions you need to feel confident in your decision. Compile all the information you get from the beauty school admissions representative, compare it to your checklist that you prioritized on what matters most to you, and then make an educated decision on the best beauty school for you. Click the “Find Schools” button below to find and compare schools near you.
If you have any questions at all on how to choose a beauty school, please contact us!
News About How to Choose a Beauty School:
- October 15, 2015 - Top 5 Tips for Succeeding in Beauty School
- October 6, 2015 - Top 5 Tips for Choosing the Right Beauty School
- June 25, 2015 - Beauty School Marketing Group Scholarship Winner – Anna Gailis
- November 7, 2014 - Empire Beauty School Fights Domestic Violence Through Charity
- July 18, 2013 - Little Rock Fashion Week Calls on Beauty School Students for Hair & Makeup
FAQ Quick Links
- Vital Statistics
- Is Cosmetology School for Me
- Choosing the Right School
- School Programs
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- School Requirements
- Finding Your First Job
- Professional Careers in the Cosmetology Industry
- Laws and licenses
- State-by-State License Requirements
- Cosmetology School Tools and Supplies