Delaware Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
Delaware Board of Cosmetology License Information
Last Updated: Setpember 18, 2015
Cosmetology is a highly regulated field, and Delaware is a state with particularly strict requirements. If you want to work in Delaware as a beauty professional, it’s important to meet the expectations of the Board of Cosmetology and Barbering. You can start your journey to a rewarding beauty career by attending a program at an accredited, Board-approved school. Once you have met the training requirements for your specialty—listed below—you can register to take your exam.
The Delaware Board of Cosmetology and Barbering administers written and practical exams to determine whether or not you are ready for licensure. In Delaware, exams are overseen by PCS. Once you pass these exams, you will receive your Delaware cosmetology license in the mail. With your license in hand, you can legally work as a cosmetology, barber, esthetician, or nail technician in Delaware.
Keep in mind, even though Delaware may not require continuing education to renew some licenses, you may wish to consider taking cosmetology continuing education hours in Delaware annually to stay current on the latest trends. For specific questions or to learn about your chosen beauty license, contact the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology directly.
Use our list of Delaware beauty schools below to find the right cosmetology school for your needs and your skills.
2015 Delaware Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
- COSMETOLOGIST LICENSE: 1500 Hours / 3000 Hours Apprenticeship
- BARBER LICENSE: 1500 Hours / 3000 Hours Apprenticeship
- NAIL TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 300 Hours / 600 Hours Apprenticeship
- ELECECTROLOGIST LICENSE: 300 Hours / 600 Hours Apprenticeship
- ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 600 Hours / 1200 Hours Apprenticeship
- COSMETOLOGY INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Cosmetology License + 500 Training Hours OR 250 Training Hours and 2 Years Active Work Experience
- ELECTROLOGIST INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Electrology License + 500 Hours OR 50 Hours and 2 Years Work Experience
- ESTHETICIAN INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Esthetics License + 500 Hours OR 250 Hours and 2 Years Work Experience
- MASSAGE THERAPIST LICENSE: 500 Hours Therapist, 300 Hours Technician
Delaware Cosmetology License Renewal
The renewal fee is the same as the original licensing fee. Barbers, nail technicians, electrologists, instructors, and estheticians must renew their licenses by March 31 of even-numbered years. Cosmetologists must renew their licenses by October 31 of even-numbered years. Delaware does not currently require continuing education hours to renew your license.
Cosmetology License Reciprocity (Transfer) in Delaware
Depending on which state you are currently licensed in and how much experience you have, you may be able to become licensed in Delaware via reciprocity. You do not have to go through the examination process if your home state’s training requirements are similar to those of Delaware. If your home state’s licensing requirements are considerably less than Delaware’s requirements, you may qualify through work experience. You must provide proof that you have been employed for three of the last five years as a cosmetology professional. The cost of transferring your license to DE varies from $68 for estheticians to $167 for instructors.
DE State Board of Cosmetology Contact Information
Delaware Board of Cosmetology & Barbering
Cannon Building Suite #203
861 Silver Lake Blvd.
Dover, DE 19904
Phone Number: 302-744-4500
Fax Number: 302-739-2711
The Delaware Board of Cosmetology & Barbering can help you with replacing a lost cosmetology license, updating a change of name or change of address information, and acquiring out-of-state and other useful forms, as well as answer additional questions about obtaining a Delaware cosmetology license.
Cosmetology Licensing Information for Other Nearby States:
FAQ Quick Links
- Vital Statistics
- Is Cosmetology School for Me
- Choosing the Right School
- School Programs
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- School Requirements
- Finding Your First Job
- Professional Careers in the Cosmetology Industry
- Laws and licenses
- State-by-State License Requirements
- Cosmetology School Tools and Supplies