Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
Mississippi Board of Cosmetology License Information
Last Updated: December 27, 2012
In order to obtain a license in cosmetology, esthetics or nail technology in the state of Mississippi, students must complete the requirements listed below from the Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology. When getting a Mississippi cosmetology license or other beauty practitioner certification, you must attend a licensed school and complete the state of Mississippi's minimum required training hours and then take the state's cosmetology board exams.
After finishing your training, you are required to pass a licensing exam issued by the Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology. Once you pass this exam, you will receive your Mississippi cosmetology license shortly thereafter. You're now able to work in the state of Mississippi. Keep in mind, even though Mississippi may not require continuing education to renew some licenses, you may wish to consider taking cosmetology continuing education hours in Mississippi annually to stay current on the latest trends. For specific questions, please contact the MS Board of Cosmetology directly for more information. The state of MS does not allow apprenticeship to get your training hours. MS allows the licensing exam to be taken in English only.
Find Mississippi beauty schools that can help you obtain a license in cosmetology, esthetics, nail technology and other beauty professions in the State of Mississippi.
Mississippi Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
- COSMETOLOGIST LICENSE: 1500 Hours (At Least 9 Months)
- BARBER LICENSE: 1500 Hours
- ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 600 Hours (At Least 15 Weeks)
- NAIL TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 350 Hours (At Least 9 Weeks)
- COSMETOLOGY INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Cosmetology License + 12 College Semester Hours Approved by Board + 750 Hours for applicants with 2+ years work experience OR 2,000 hours for applicants with less than 2 years experience
- ESTHETICS INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Esthetician License + 600 Hours for applicants with 2+ years work experience OR 1,000 hours for applicants with less than 2 years experience.
- MASSAGE THERAPIST LICENSE: 700 Hours
Mississippi Cosmetology License Renewal
Cosmetology licenses are renewed every 2 years in Mississippi. Cosmetology continuing education is not required for some beauty licenses in Mississippi, however instructor licenses need 24 hours of cosmetology CEUs every 2 years. A master cosmetologist needs 16 hours of continuing education to get the master license, and to renew it is 18 hours. Electrologists require 30 continuing education hours.
Cosmetology License Reciprocity (Transfer) in Mississippi
To transfer your license to Mississippi, you must submit an application of intent to apply for licensure, have a record of your training and license status from your home state sent to the Mississippi Board of Cosmetology, and appear before the board for a credentialing interview. Transfer is determined on a case-by-case basis.
MS State Board of Cosmetology Contact Information
Mississippi Board of Cosmetology
239 North Lamar, Suite 301
Jackson, MS 39201
Phone Number: 601-359-1820
Fax Number: 601-354-6639
The Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology can help you with replacing a lost cosmetology license, updating change of name or change of address information, and acquiring out-of-state and other useful forms, as well as answer additional questions about obtaining a Mississippi state cosmetology license.
Cosmetology Licensing Information for Other Nearby States:
FAQ Quick Links
- Vital Statistics
- Is Cosmetology School for Me
- Choosing the Right School
- School Programs
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- School Requirements
- Finding Your First Job
- Professional Careers in the Cosmetology Industry
- Laws and licenses
- State-by-State License Requirements
- Cosmetology School Tools and Supplies