Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
Mississippi Board of Cosmetology License Information
Last Updated: September 23, 2015
If you are ready to tackle the opportunities offered by the beauty industry, then your first stop should be the Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology. The training hour requirements listed below are created by them to ensure that students have adequate training before getting into the field. Completing an approved training program is the first step in this process.
Once you have completed your training hours, you must take licensing exams—one practical and one written—administered by the Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology. Once you pass this exam, you will receive your Mississippi cosmetology license in the mail. The state of Mississippi does not currently have an apprenticeship program. Mississippi allows the licensing exam to be taken in English only.
Keep in mind, even though Mississippi may not require continuing education to renew most regular cosmetology licenses, you may wish to consider taking cosmetology continuing education hours in Mississippi annually to stay current on the latest trends.
Find Mississippi beauty schools that can help you obtain a license in cosmetology, esthetics, nail technology and other beauty professions in the state of Mississippi.
2015 Mississippi Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
- COSMETOLOGIST LICENSE: 1500 Hours (At Least 9 Months)
- BARBER LICENSE: 1500 Hours
- ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 600 Hours (At Least 15 Weeks)
- NAIL TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 350 Hours (At Least 9 Weeks)
- COSMETOLOGY INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Cosmetology License + 12 College Semester Hours Approved by Board + 750 Hours for Applicants with 2+ Years Work Experience OR 2,000 Hours for Applicants with Less Than 2 Years Experience
- ESTHETICS INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Esthetician License + 600 Hours for Applicants with 2+ Years Work Experience OR 1,000 Hours for Applicants with Less Than 2 Years Experience.
- MANICURIST INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Manicurist License + 600 Hours for applicants with 2+ Years Work Experience OR 1,000 Hours for Applicants with Less Than 2 Years Experience
- MASSAGE THERAPIST LICENSE: 700 Hours
Mississippi Cosmetology License Renewal
Cosmetology licenses are renewed every 2 years in Mississippi. Cosmetology continuing education is not required for most beauty licenses in Mississippi. Cosmetology instructors must complete 24 hours of continuing education every 2 years to renew their licenses. A master cosmetologist needs 16 hours of continuing education to get the master license, and renewing this license every 2 years requires the completion of 8 continuing education hours. Electrologists require 30 continuing education hours. A regular license costs $50 to renew and a master license costs $70 to renew.
Cosmetology License Reciprocity (Transfer) in Mississippi
To transfer your license to Mississippi, you must submit an application of intent to apply for licensure, have a record of your training and license status from your home state sent to the Mississippi Board of Cosmetology, and appear before the board for a credentialing interview. Transfer is determined on a case-by-case basis.
MS State Board of Cosmetology Contact Information
Mississippi Board of Cosmetology
239 North Lamar, Suite 301
Jackson, MS 39201
PO Box 55689
Phone Number: 601-359-1820
Fax Number: 601-354-6639
For specific questions, please contact the Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology directly for more information.
Cosmetology Licensing Information for Other Nearby States:
FAQ Quick Links
- Vital Statistics
- Is Cosmetology School for Me
- Choosing the Right School
- School Programs
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- School Requirements
- Finding Your First Job
- Professional Careers in the Cosmetology Industry
- Laws and licenses
- State-by-State License Requirements
- Cosmetology School Tools and Supplies