Want more information?
New Hampshire State Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
New Hampshire Board of Cosmetology License Information
Last Updated: December 27, 2012
In order to obtain a license in cosmetology, esthetics or nail technology in the state of New Hampshire, students must complete the requirements listed below from the New Hampshire State Board of Cosmetology. When getting a New Hampshire cosmetology license or other beauty practitioner certification, you must attend a licensed school and complete the state of New Hampshire's minimum required training hours and then take the state's cosmetology board exams.
After finishing your training, you are required to pass a licensing exam issued by the New Hampshire State Board of Cosmetology. Once you pass this exam, you will receive your New Hampshire cosmetology license shortly thereafter. You're now able to work in the state of New Hampshire. Keep in mind, even though New Hampshire may not require continuing education to renew some licenses, you may wish to consider taking cosmetology continuing education hours in New Hampshire annually to stay current on the latest trends. For specific questions, please contact the NH Board of Cosmetology directly for more information. The state of NH does allow apprenticeship to get your training hours. NH allows you to take the board exam in the English language only.
Find New Hampshire beauty schools that can help you obtain a license in cosmetology, esthetics, nail technology and other beauty professions in the State of New Hampshire.
New Hampshire Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
- COSMETOLOGIST LICENSE: 1500 Hours (3000 Hours Apprenticeship)
- BARBER LICENSE (Cutting Only): 800 Hours (1600 Hours Apprenticeship)
- MASTER BARBER LICENSE (Cutting + Chemical): 1500 Hours (3000 Hours Apprenticeship)
- ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 600 Hours (1200 Hours Apprenticeship)
- NAIL TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 300 Hours (600 Hours Apprenticeship)
- ELECTROLOGIST LICENSE: Contact the Tattoo Board
- PERMANENT MAKEUP LICENSE: Contact the Tattoo Board
- COSMETOLOGY INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Cosmetology License + 8 Years Work Experience OR 500 Hours with 1 Year Work Experience OR 800 Hours with No Work Experience
- MASSAGE THERAPIST LICENSE: 750 Hours
New Hampshire Cosmetology License Renewal
Cosmetology license renewal in New Hamsphire happens every two years in the licensee's birth month. The cost to renew a beauty practitioner's license is $40. 28 cosmetology continuing education is required for cosmetology instructors during each licensure period. Though continuing education may not be required for some practitioners' licenses, cosmetology CEUs are always recommended to stay current in the industry.
Cosmetology License Reciprocity (Transfer) in New Hampshire
To transfer your cosmetology license to New Hampshire, you must have an equivalent or higher number of training hours from your home state than NH requires. You must have passed a written and practical national exam in English. If you do not have equivalent training yours, you must have either twice as many hours of work experience as the hour requirements, or you must take additional training hours to make up the difference.
NH State Board of Cosmetology Contact Information
New Hampshire State Board of Barbering, Cosmetology & Esthetics
2 Industrial Park Dr., Suite #2
Concord, NH 03301
Phone Number: 603-271-3608
Fax Number: 603-271-8889
The New Hampshire State Board of Cosmetology can help you with replacing a lost cosmetology license, updating change of name or change of address information, and acquiring out-of-state and other useful forms, as well as answer additional questions about obtaining a New Hampshire state cosmetology license.
Cosmetology Licensing Information for Other Nearby States:
FAQ Quick Links
- Vital Statistics
- Is Cosmetology School for Me
- Choosing the Right School
- School Programs
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- School Requirements
- Finding Your First Job
- Professional Careers in the Cosmetology Industry
- Laws and licenses
- State-by-State License Requirements
- Cosmetology School Tools and Supplies