Oregon State Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
Oregon Board of Cosmetology License Information
Last Updated: October 28, 2015
In order to obtain a license in cosmetology, esthetics or nail technology in the state of Oregon, students must complete the requirements listed below from the . When getting an Oregon cosmetology license or other beauty practitioner certification, you must attend a licensed school and complete the state of Oregon's minimum required training hours and then take the state's cosmetology board exams.
The state of Oregon does not allow you to pursue apprenticeship to get your training hours. Oregon allows you to take the boards in the English language only Once you pass your practical and written exams, you will receive your Oregon cosmetology license shortly thereafter. You're now able to work in the state of Oregon.
Though continuing education is a recommended part of a beauty career, it is not currently required in Oregon to renew or keep your license.
Find Oregon beauty schools that can help you obtain a license in cosmetology, esthetics, nail technology and other beauty professions in Oregon.
2015 Oregon Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
- COSMETOLOGIST LICENSE: 2300 Hours
- HAIRSTYLIST LICENSE: 1450 Hours
- BARBER LICENSE: 1100 Hours
- ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 250 Hours
- NAIL TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 350 Hours
- NATURAL HAIR CARE LICENSE: Completion of the Natural Hair Care Training Module
- ELECTROLOGIST LICENSE: Contact the Board of Body Art Practitioners
- PERMANENT MAKEUP LICENSE: Contact the Board of Body Art Practitioners
- COSMETOLOGY INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Contact the Department of Education
- MASSAGE THERAPIST LICENSE: 500 Hours
Oregon Cosmetology License Renewal
Cosmetology license renewal in Oregon happens every 2 years at the end of the month of original licensure. Cosmetology licenses can be renewed online for $40, or in person or by mail for $45. Cosmetology continuing education is not required for most licenses, except for electrology and permanent makeup, as these careers are certified by a different board.
Cosmetology License Reciprocity (Transfer) in Oregon
If you are an out-of-state applicant applying to transfer your license to Oregon, you must get verification of current licensure in good standing from your home state. This certification must be sent directly from the out-of-state regulatory authority to the Oregon Board of Cosmetology. You must take the Oregon Laws & Rules examination, and pass the exam for your field of practice. There is a $100 fee to transfer your license to Oregon.
OR State Board of Cosmetology Contact Information
For specific questions, please contact the Oregon Board of Cosmetology directly for more information.
Cosmetology Licensing Information for Other Nearby States:
FAQ Quick Links
- Vital Statistics
- Is Cosmetology School for Me
- Choosing the Right School
- School Programs
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- School Requirements
- Finding Your First Job
- Professional Careers in the Cosmetology Industry
- Laws and licenses
- State-by-State License Requirements
- Cosmetology School Tools and Supplies