Want more information?
Tennessee State Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
Tennessee Board of Cosmetology License Information
Last Updated: October 28, 2015
In order to obtain a beauty license in the state of Tennessee, students must complete the requirements listed below from the . When getting a Tennessee beauty practitioner certification, you must attend school and complete the state’s required training hours in order to be eligible to take the state's cosmetology board test.
The state of Tennessee does not allow apprenticeship to get your training hours. After finishing your training, you are required to pass a licensing exam issued by the Tennessee Division of Regulatory Boards. Tennessee uses PSI to administer the exam and allows you to take the boards in the English language only.
Keep in mind that even though Tennessee may not require continuing education to renew some licenses, you may wish to consider taking cosmetology continuing education hours in Tennessee annually to stay current on the latest trends.
2015 Tennessee Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
- COSMETOLOGIST LICENSE: 1500 Hours
- NATURAL HAIRSTYLIST LICENSE: 300 Hours
- MASTER BARBER LICENSE: 1500 Hours
- BARBER TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 340 Hours
- ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 750 Hours
- NAIL TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 600 Hours
- ELECTROLOGIST LICENSE: 600 Hours
- PERMANENT MAKEUP ARTIST LICENSE: Must Have Tattoo Artist License
- COSMETOLOGY INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Cosmetology License + 3 Continuous Years of Active Licensure + 300 Hours or 1 Year Junior Instruction
- BARBER INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Master Barber License for 3 or More Years or 450 Hours
- MASSAGE THERAPIST LICENSE: 500 Hours
- SHAMPOO TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 300 Hours
Tennessee Cosmetology License Renewal
Cosmetology license renewal in Tennessee is required every two years, and you can renew your license up to 60 days before its expiration date. Barber license renewal costs $80. Cosmetologist, esthetician, nail technician, natural hairstylist and shampooer license renewal costs $50. Instructor license renewal costs $60.
You must pay a $25 late fee if your application is received after the expiration date.
Cosmetology and barber instructors must complete 16 approved CEUs every two years. There are currently no continuing education requirements for beauty practitioners.
Cosmetology License Reciprocity (Transfer) in Tennessee
In order to transfer your cosmetology license to Tennessee, you must be able to demonstrate that you met Tennessee's minimum training hour requirements at a school in your home state. If you do not meet the training requirements, you can supply proof of five years of work experience to make up the difference.
If you cannot meet those requirements, you must submit your application for reciprocity to the board office for individual consideration. You may be required to take additional training hours to meet the minimum requirements.
TN State Board of Cosmetology Contact Information
Tennessee State Board of Cosmetology and Barber Examiners
500 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243-1147
Phone Number: 615-741-2515
Fax Number: 615-741-1310
E-mail Address: Cosmetology.Board@TN.Gov
The Tennessee State Board of Cosmetology and Barber Examiners can answer any questions you may have about obtaining your cosmetology license in Tennessee.
Cosmetology Licensing Information for Other Nearby States:
FAQ Quick Links
- Vital Statistics
- Is Cosmetology School for Me
- Choosing the Right School
- School Programs
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- School Requirements
- Finding Your First Job
- Professional Careers in the Cosmetology Industry
- Laws and licenses
- State-by-State License Requirements
- Cosmetology School Tools and Supplies