Utah State Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
Utah Board of Cosmetology License Information
Last Updated: April 28, 2014
In order to obtain a license in cosmetology, esthetics or nail technology in the state of Utah, students must complete the requirements listed below from the UT State Board of Cosmetology. When getting a Utah cosmetology license or other beauty practitioner certification, you must attend a licensed school and complete the state of Utah's minimum required training hours and then take the state's cosmetology board exams.
After finishing your training, you are required to pass a licensing exam issued by the State Board. Once you pass this exam, you will receive your Utah cosmetology license shortly thereafter. You're now able to work in the state of Utah. Keep in mind, even though Utah may not require continuing education to renew some licenses, you may wish to consider taking cosmetology continuing education hours annually to stay current on the latest trends. For specific questions, please contact the Utah board directly for more information. The state of UT does allow apprenticeship to get your training hours for some licenses. UT uses PSI to administer the exam and allows you to take the boards in the English language only.
Find Utah beauty schools that can help you obtain a license in cosmetology, esthetics, nail technology and other beauty professions in the State of Utah.
Utah Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
- COSMETOLOGIST LICENSE: 1600 Hours OR 2500 Hours Apprenticeship
- BARBER LICENSE: 1000 Hours OR 1250 Hours Apprenticeship
- ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 600 Hours OR 800 Hours Apprenticeship (at least 5 months)
- NAIL TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 300 Hours OR 375 Hours Apprenticeship (at least 3 months)
- ELECTROLOGIST LICENSE: 600 Hours
- COSMETOLOGY & BARBER INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Cosmetology License + 1000 Hours Teacher Training, OR 3000 Hours Work Experience
- MASSAGE THERAPIST LICENSE: 600 Hours
Utah cosmetology license renewal happens every two years on September 30 in odd-numbered years. Most of the practitioners' licenses cost $52 to renew, subject to change. Utah does not currently require cosmetology continuing education hours to renew licenses, but CEUs are always recommended to stay current in the industry.
Cosmetology License Reciprocity (Transfer) in Utah
Utah does not allow license reciprocity, but they do offer licensure by endorsement if you meet their qualifications.
Utah Board of Cosmetology Contact Information
Utah Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing, Board of Cosmetology
160 East, 300 South
PO Box 6741
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741
Phone Number: 801-530-6628
Fax Number: 801-530-6511, Attn: Bureau 2
E-mail Address: email@example.com
The Utah State Board of Cosmetology can help you with replacing a lost cosmetology license, updating change of name or change of address information, and acquiring out-of-state and other useful forms, as well as answer additional questions about obtaining a Utah cosmetology license.
Cosmetology Licensing Information for Other Nearby States:
FAQ Quick Links
- Vital Statistics
- Is Cosmetology School for Me
- Choosing the Right School
- School Programs
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- School Requirements
- Finding Your First Job
- Professional Careers in the Cosmetology Industry
- Laws and licenses
- State-by-State License Requirements
- Cosmetology School Tools and Supplies