Utah State Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
Utah Board of Cosmetology License Information
Last Updated: October 28, 2015
The requirements for getting your cosmetology license are listed below, taken from the . The first step is to get your education from an accredited beauty school. You can find Utah cosmetology schools listed on our site.
After finishing your schooling, you must take and pass the licensing exam issued by the Utah Division of Professional Licensing. Once you pass, you can get your Utah cosmetology license shortly thereafter.
The state of UT does allow apprenticeship to get your training hours for some licenses, as outlined below. UT uses PSI to administer the exam and allows you to take the boards in the English language only.
For specific questions, please contact the Utah board directly for more information.
2015 Utah Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
- COSMETOLOGIST LICENSE: 1600 Hours OR 2500 Hours Apprenticeship
- BARBER LICENSE: 1000 Hours OR 1250 Hours Apprenticeship
- COSMETOLOGIST/BARBER LICENSE: 1600 Hours
- ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 600 Hours OR 800 Hours Apprenticeship (at least 5 months)
- MASTER ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 1500 Apprenticeship Hours
- NAIL TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 300 Hours OR 375 Hours Apprenticeship (at least 3 months)
- ELECTROLOGIST LICENSE: 600 Hours
- COSMETOLOGY INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Cosmetology License + 1000 Hours Teacher Training, OR 3000 Hours Work Experience
- BARBER INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: 500 Hours Work Experience or 2000 Training Hours
- COSMETOLOGY/BARBER INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: 1000 Hours of Training or 3000 Hours Work Experience
- MASSAGE THERAPIST LICENSE: 600 Hours
Utah License Renewal
Utah cosmetology license renewal is required every two years on September 30. The renewal fee for beauty practitioner licenses is $52. Utah does not currently require cosmetology continuing education hours to renew licenses, but CEUs are always recommended to stay current in the industry.
Cosmetology License Reciprocity (Transfer) in Utah
Utah does not allow beauty license reciprocity, but they do offer licensure by endorsement if you meet their qualifications. To apply for endorsement, you must have your original licensing agency submit proof of your cosmetology licensure and education hours to the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing. If you completed your training hours in another country, you must have an approved credentialing company verify your training.
Utah Board of Cosmetology Contact Information
Utah Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing, Board of Cosmetology
160 East, 300 South
Salt Lake City, UT 841141
Phone Number: 801-530-6628
Fax Number: 801-530-6511
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Utah DOPL can help you answer any questions you might have about obtaining or renewing a Utah cosmetology license.
Cosmetology Licensing Information for Other Nearby States:
FAQ Quick Links
- Vital Statistics
- Is Cosmetology School for Me
- Choosing the Right School
- School Programs
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- School Requirements
- Finding Your First Job
- Professional Careers in the Cosmetology Industry
- Laws and licenses
- State-by-State License Requirements
- Cosmetology School Tools and Supplies