Washington State Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
Washington Board of Cosmetology License Information
Last Updated: October 28, 2015
If you are wondering about how to get your cosmetology, esthetics or nail technology license in the state of Washington, you’ve come to the right place! First off, students must complete the requirements listed below from the Washington State Department of Licensing in order to eligible for licensing exams. We recommend attending a licensed school to ensure that your education meets the requirements for the state's cosmetology board exams.
After finishing school, you are required to pass a licensing exam. The state of Washington does allow apprenticeship to get your training hours for certain licenses. Washington also allows you to take the board exams in the English, Vietnamese or Spanish language. Some locations also allow the use of a dictionary for Russian, German or Polish languages.
Once you pass your board exam, and receive your cosmetology license in the mail, you can legally work in the state of Washington as a beauty professional.
Take some to to review requirements below for each profession, and if you haven’t yet, take a look at the Washington beauty schools that are listed on our site.
2015 Washington Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
- COSMETOLOGIST LICENSE: 1600 Hours (2000 Hours Apprenticeship)
- BARBER LICENSE: 1000 Hours (1200 Hours Apprenticeship)
- ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 750 Hours (800 Hours Apprenticeship)
- MASTER ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: Esthetician License + 450 Hours OR 1400 Apprenticeship Hours
- NAIL TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 600 Hours (800 Hours Apprenticeship)
- PERMANENT MAKEUP ARTIST LICENSE: Bloodborne Pathogens Certificate
- ELECTROLOGIST LICENSE: Contact Dept. of Health
- COSMETOLOGY INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Cosmetology License + 500 Hours
- MASSAGE THERAPIST LICENSE: 500 Hours
Washington Cosmetology License Renewal
Cosmetology license renewal in Washington is required every 2 years on the date of your license issuance. The cost to renew a beauty practitioner's license or an instructor’s license is $55 prior to expiration, or $110 if you renew past the expiration date.
Cosmetology continuing education hours are not currently required to renew your license, but we do recommend cosmetology CEUs with the industry, in order to stay abreast of trends and changes.
Cosmetology License Reciprocity (Transfer) in Washington
To transfer your cosmetology license to Washington, you must have a current license from your home state, must have taken a practical and written exam to get the license in your home state, and must have a license in good standing. You can then send certification and your reciprocity application fee of $50 to the state board. If you originally earned your license in another country, you must take the Washington license exams to get licensed in this state.
WA State Board of Cosmetology Contact Information
State of Washington Dept. of Licensing, Cosmetology Licensing Program
Seattle, WA 98124
405 Black Lake Blvd SW
Olympia, WA 98502
PO Box 3856
Phone Number: 360-664-6626
Fax Number: 360-664-2550
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Washington State Department of Licensing can help with the entire process, as well as answer any other questions your have about obtaining a Washington cosmetology license.
Cosmetology Licensing Information for Other Nearby States:
FAQ Quick Links
- Vital Statistics
- Is Cosmetology School for Me
- Choosing the Right School
- School Programs
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- School Requirements
- Finding Your First Job
- Professional Careers in the Cosmetology Industry
- Laws and licenses
- State-by-State License Requirements
- Cosmetology School Tools and Supplies