Lu Ross Academy of Beauty & Health
Ventura, CA 93001
A WELLA PROFESSIONALS SIGNATURE SCHOOL - Our partnership with Wella and Sebastian creates a unique learning environment.
- Voted BEST TRADE SCHOOL for seven years in a row 2010 t0 2016 in Ventura County by the readers of the VC Star!
Lu Ross Academy has been providing students with quality education since 1954. As we have grown over the years, so has the salon industry. The professional Beauty industry is a job-seekers market with 56% of salon owners reporting they had job openings. Everyone at Lu Ross is focused on our main objective - to get you employed in a job you like.
Why Choose Lu Ross Academy?
Lu Ross Academy:
- Has State Board Exam Training that sets the standard in the industry. We want all of our graduates to pass the first time.
- Works with the finest beauty industry partners such as Dermalogica, Wella, Sebastian, Murad, and MAC Cosmetics. Barbers - Sauvecito and Layrite.
- Has an active, first-class, full service day spa/salon on campus so you can learn the latest beauty techniques.
- Has 14,000 square feet of facilities; including 5 classrooms, 5 treatment rooms, a wet room and a large and lively clinic floor. The Barber program has a separate location dedicated solely to Barbering.
- Is Nationally Accredited by NACCAS and offers Financial Aid to those who qualify.
- Has focus on one thing - you the student, not producing more campuses.
Lu Ross Academy believes in the importance of hands-on training. We know you will make mistakes-we expect you to make mistakes. That is how people learn-from correcting their mistakes. The curriculum goes far beyond the State Board requirements. Learn advanced techniques and use your creativity.
- Hair styling
- Hair cutting
- Chemical hair relaxing
- Hair coloring
- Thermal hair styling
- Scalp and hair treatments
- Facials: manual, electrical and chemical
- Make-up using Mac Cosmetics
- Manicuring: acrylic, tips, wraps
- Thermal styling
- (NEW) Hair Extension Certification by Cinderella Hair Extensions
- Regular guest demos from Wella and Sebastian educators
- State Board Exam Training when you hit 1200 hours.
Lu Ross Academy has created a real world Barbering environment at our new Barber School location. The Barbering program emphasizes the importance of hands-on training. We want you to stay busy with your clients. That's the best way to learn your Barbering techniques. Learn advanced techniques and use your creativity. Barbering students receive additional classes in hair color, bleaching and hair-cutting. Continuous practical applications, lectures, testing and evaluations are used to meet the course objectives. The goal is to make our Barbering graduates world class professionals who can perform great men's services as well as women's.
• Hair styling
• Hair cutting
• Clipper cuts
• Shaving techniques and razor styling
• Hair color & color formulating
• Permanent waving
• Blow drying
Barber Cross Licensing
The Barber Cross Licensing course is designed for licensed Cosmetologists who want to obtain their Barber license. The curriculum for students enrolled in the Barber Crossover course requires 400 hours of practical training and technical instruction covering Barber practices not covered in Cosmetology Training. Subjects covered include: preparing clients for shaving, skin analysis, shaving techniques, tools and equipment, facial massage, men's facial treatment, post facial, product application, rolling cream massage, proper use of razors, use of electrical clippers, trimmers and clipper cuts.
The average student can complete the evening schedule in 21 weeks. Students are grades on technical written tests, practical procedures and attendance. Students attend lectures and complete a required number of practicals. Instruction in State Board procedures is also included.
Teach others the secrets of beautiful skin. In the same 600 hours that all the schools in California teach the basic mandated curriculum, we also teach post-graduate extras like microdermabrasion, chemical peels, acne treatments, body treatments and Sunless Tanning Certification. Students receive their Eyelash Extension Certificate as part of the regular program. There is no extra charge.
- Facials: manual, electrical, chemical
- Chemistry, disinfection, sanitation
- Hair removal, eyebrow arching
- Make-up techniques
- Introduction to microdermabrasion
- Chemical peels and PCA Skin Certification
- Dermalogica, Ayer-medic and Murad workshops
- Sunless Tanning Certification by Norvell Skin Solutions
- (NEW) Eyelash Extension Certification by Minkys
Lu Ross Academy offers a unique 120 hour program designed for those who have chosen Makeup as a career. This ten week training program teaches the fundamentals and advanced techniques. The Makeup Artist course begins with a comprehensive overview of makeup and thoroughly covers beauty, bridal and high fashion makeup. Students participate in photo shoots, learn to network with photographers and models and receive their MAC Pro Card.
- Introduction to makeup artistry, the role of a makeup artist
- Makeup kit overview, sanitation and hygiene
- Color theory and correction
- Skin analysis, skin types and skin care
- Brush tips, techniques and brush care
- Lighting, foundations, powders, face and eye shapes, contouring and highlighting
- Eye lining and eye shadow, eye brows, false eyelashes, mascara, lip liner, lipstick and glosses, cheeks and blush placement
- Beauty makeup, bridal makeup, special event makeup, high fashion & editorial makeup, runway makeup and back stage etiquette
- Exclusive in-store MAC trend events
- Building a portfolio, business strategies, networking tips and beauty and makeup resources
The course is focused on hands-on makeup application and creative makeup techniques
Lu Ross Academy is proud to re-launch the Manicuring Program as a 600 Hour course. The new format allows us to cover every aspect of Nail Technology. The Manicuring profession has gone through several changes in the past few years, but has now re-emerged as a profession that has truly come into its own. There are now many exciting new technologies in Nail Technology and the new 600 hour course covers them all. Manicurists are much sought after to work in salons and spas. The Manicuring class at Lu Ross Academy takes the profession to a next level. The spa-like atmosphere at Lu Ross gives the student a sense of being on a team of beauty and health professionals
Lu Ross Academy has partnered with CND, Creative Nail Design to bring together advanced cutting edge techniques and offer them to our students. CND is committed to advance the state of the nail industry to a new level through training, technology and an artistic vision.
• Water & oil manicure
• Acrylics, nail tips, nail wraps
• Pedicures including reflexology
• Pink & whites
• French manicure
• Gel Nail Systems
• Shellac nails
• Spa Manicure
• Spa Pedicure
• Nail Art including 3-d Gels
• Spa Manicures & Pedicures
• French Manicures & Pedicures
• State Board Preparation Classes
Thank you for your interest in Lu Ross Academy. Please contact us to speak with an Admissions Advisor about your particular career goals!