Last Updated: April 25, 2017
In order to obtain a license in cosmetology, esthetics, or nail technology in the state of Arizona, students must meet the educational requirements of the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology.
No matter which specialty or area of study you choose, the process is the same. You must complete the required hours listed below at an accredited Arizona beauty or cosmetology program. After finishing your training and graduating from your chosen school, you are required to pass a licensing exam given by the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology. Barbers must take their licensing exam through the Arizona State Board of Barbering. Upon passing the exam, you are allowed to work in the state of Arizona within the scope of your training.
Currently, Arizona does not require cosmetologists, estheticians, nail technicians, or other beauty professionals to complete any continuing education hours as a condi-tion of licensure. However, you may wish to complete continuing education hours to maintain your skills and stay up-to-date on new trends. For specific questions, please contact the AZ Board of Cosmetology directly. Arizona does not allow apprenticeship as a route of getting your training hours and earning a license. Arizona uses PCS to administer their cosmetology board exams, and only offers them in English.
Arizona Board of Cosmetology License Requirements (2017)
- COSMETOLOGIST LICENSE: 1600 Hours
- BARBER LICENSE: 1500 Hours (Board of Barbering)
- ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 600 Hours
- NAIL TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 600 Hours
- COSMETOLOGY INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Cosmetology License for 1 Year + 650 Hours*
- ESTHETICIAN INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Esthetician License for 1 Year + 500 Hours*
- NAIL TECHNOLOGY INSTRUCTR LICENSE: Nail Technician License for 1 Year + 350 Hours*
- MASSAGE THERAPIST LICENSE: 700 Hours (Board of Massage Therapy)
There is another way to become licensed as a cosmetology, nail technology, or esthetics instructor. If you have at least five years of experience in your specialty within the last 10 years, you can apply to the Board of Cosmetology to take your instructor ex-am.
Arizona Cosmetology License Renewal
As an Arizona licensee, you must renew your license every two years by your birthday. Beauty licenses cost $60 to renew. Arizona does not currently require you to complete continuing education hours to renew your license, though CEUs (Continu-ing Education Units) are one of the best ways to learn about changes in the cosmetol-ogy industry.
Cosmetology License Reciprocity (Transfer) in Arizona
If you began your cosmetology career in another state, licensure in Arizona may be accomplished through the reciprocity program or by taking an Arizona cosmetology ex-am. This requires an application for reciprocity. According the Arizona Board of Cos-metology, a person is entitled to receive a cosmetologist, aesthetician or nail technician license if:
1. You submit an application to the Board of Cosmetology for a cosmetologist, es-thetician or nail tech license; this application must be supplied by the Board of Cos-metology.
2. You submit evidence that you are licensed in another state or country, OR you grad-uated from a school that offers cosmetology, esthetics or nail technology courses sub-stantially similar to Arizona's requirements and that you passed the Board-approved cosmetology exams.
3. You pay the required fees.
Along with your application for reciprocity, you must include:
1. A passport-quality photo
2. Type of license, license number, and expiration date if you were previously li-censed by the Board of Cosmetology
3. Statement of whether or not you have ever had a cosmetology, nail technology, esthetics, or instructor license suspended or revoked in any state or country.
4. Certification of hours and proof of graduation or licensure in another state or country
AZ State Board of Cosmetology Contact Information
The Arizona Board of Cosmetology can help you with replacing a lost cosmetology li-cense, updating a change of name or change of address information, getting the forms you need for licensure or renewal, and answering any questions you may have.