Last Updated: April 25, 2017
In order to obtain a license in cosmetology, esthetics or nail technology in the state of Ohio, students must complete the requirements listed below from the Ohio State Board of Cosmetology. To qualify for cosmetology licensure in Ohio, you must attend a licensed school and complete the state of Ohio's minimum required training hours and then take the state's cosmetology board exams.
Once you have completed your training program, you can apply to take the licensing exams issued by the Ohio State Board of Cosmetology. Ohio does allow apprenticeship to get your training hours and get licensed. You can do this through the Apprentice Instructor Training Program, which then sends an application to the board for review. The cosmetology board exams are administered in the English language only.
Once you pass this exam, you will receive your Ohio cosmetology license shortly thereafter.
For most cosmetology licenses, the state of Ohio requires practitioners to complete 8 hours of continuing education per renewal period, with the exception of the first licensure period. For specific questions, please contact the Ohio State Board of Cosmetology directly for more information.
Find Ohio beauty schools that can help you obtain a license in cosmetology, esthetics, nail technology and other beauty professions in Ohio.
2017 Ohio Board of Cosmetology License Requirements
- COSMETOLOGIST LICENSE: 1500 Hours or Hairstylist License + 300 Hours
- MANAGING COSMETOLOGIST LICENSE: Cosmetology License + 300 Hours
- HAIRSTYLIST LICENSE: 1200 Hours
- MANAGING HAIRSTYLIST LICENSE: 1440 Hours
- ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 750 Hours (+ 16-hour training to do microdermabrasion)
- MANAGING ESTHETICIAN LICENSE: 750 Hours
- NAIL TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 200 Hours (+ 8-hour training to use electric file)
- MANAGING NAIL TECHNICIAN LICENSE: 300
- BARBER LICENSE: 1800 Hours (Contact Ohio State Barber Board)
- COSMETOLOGY INSTRUCTOR LICENSE: Managing Cosmetology License + 1000 Hours OR 1 Year Salon Experience
- NATURAL HAIRSTYLIST LICENSE: 450 Hours
- MASSAGE THERAPIST LICENSE: 750 Hours (Call 614-466-3934)
Ohio Cosmetology License Renewal
Ohio licenses must be renewed by January 31 of every odd-numbered year. It costs $30 to renew your license, and the board requires at least 8 hours of cosmetology continuing education classes per renewal period.
Instructors must complete an additional 8 hours of Instructor-Only continuing education. One hour of continuing education must be dedicated to human trafficking.
If the renewal is late, it's $75. If you get an independent contractor's license, the license is $60 if renewed on time, $105 if late. The original cost of the independent contractor's license is $75.
Cosmetology License Reciprocity (Transfer) in Ohio
All applicants who wish to transfer their cosmetology license to Ohio must pass the state's written, practical and manager's exams. Ohio doesn't offer reciprocity with other states. You may get a license in Ohio without taking an additional exam if you were previously licensed in Ohio, got your license in another state, and returned to Ohio.
OH State Board of Cosmetology Contact Information
Ohio State Board of Cosmetology
1929 Gateway Circle
Grove City, OH 43123
Phone Number: 614-466-3834
Fax Number: 614-644-6880
E-mail Address: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ohio State Board of Cosmetology can answer additional questions about obtaining an Ohio cosmetology license.